Skip to main content

It all started when I got engaged...


... I was reading Children of Liberty by Paullina Simons, my favourite author, but a poor book, but that's another blog for another time. So I was on the sofa and in walks Dave (the love of my life) holding a pink box. He sat next to me and we exchanged the smile of two people who know their lives are about to change forever. 
Next he fell on to one knee and opened the box. The ring was beautiful and exactly what I wanted (it was almost as if I'd chosen it...) He said, "Libby Clare, will you marry me?" and I laughed and cried. How long have I wanted to hear those words in that order? About four years.
Of course I said yes and we had the best day of our lives. We went to La Tasca, a tapas restaurant and discovered the greatest food ever (again, another blog for another time.)




This heart shape features our names and the date we were engaged. It was a present from my sister-in-law and it was made by a friend of hers https://www.facebook.com/PebbleChic It takes pride of place in the house and I absolutely love it. 

So you're probably wondering where the crafts fit into all this. Well, after an engagement comes a wedding. I knew I wanted the wedding to be all about David and me and everything we love. I didn't want just another white wedding. I'm talking about it as if it's actually happened, but it's not until 8th December, 2013. The best part is I know now exactly how it will look and what will go where. 
To begin with, though, I was stumped. I bought a wedding magazine and a scrap book and put ideas together, but nothing stood out. Did I want wacky or elegant? Quirky or chic? The truth was I wanted something straight down the middle. I was flicking through the back pages of the magazine when I came across Esty.com and on this page the wedding started to come together. 
Vintage Book Theme Wedding. 
Perfect. 
Lanterns made of book pages, a wishing tree with luggage tags where the guests would write their messages, vintage books topped with tea pots filled with flowers as the centre pieces, a paper flower bouquet. I added these things to my basket and the total was more than I wanted to spend on the dress. 
I closed down the window down. Either we raise more money or I get creative. 
I found an old book that I'd bought for 50p from a library sale in Bradford on Avon and tore out the pages. Then I soaked them in tea and put them in the oven on a low heat. 
When I came home from work they were laid out around the kitchen and I had a fiance with hands that smelled of tea. Once the paper had dried fully I went to YouTube. The first video I found on making paper flowers was very origami based and I tried and failed. 
Then I found this video: 
Perfect. 
I bought a cheap glue gun and gardener's wire on Amazon and began making little paper flowers. They were fun to make and look great. I'm still not sure if they'll make up my final bouquet, but they'll definitely feature somewhere.


I made a status on Facebook asking for advice people might have about planning a wedding and here it was that Pinterest.com came into my life http://pinterest.com/libbymlc/boards/ and I have embraced it. Basically, you can search for anything in the world and find pictures. So I searched Vintage Book Themed Wedding and got so much more inspiration. 

And that's how it all began and it has led to oh so much more. It has led to a new way of life for me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crochet Cactus Written Pattern

Amigurumi Unicorn Written Pattern

Amigurumi Macaron Written Pattern

Amigurumi Cookie Written Pattern

Yarny from Unravelled Crochet Amigurumi Written Pattern

Crochet Amigurumi Dachshund Written Pattern

Amigurumi Ice Cream Written Pattern

Crochet Amigurumi Mermaid Written Pattern

Crochet Christmas Decorations

Crocheted Wild Animals